After the course, the student
- has knowledge about a) the scientific foundation of distributed systems for global distribution of real-time media for human communication and b) the proven experience programmers in this field of Computer Science;
- Can develop multimedia for green ICT applications in combination with reducing the environment footprint using ICT technology.
- has the capacity for carrying out teamwork and collaboration with various constellations, both in groups where the students choose whom to work with and in groups put together by others;
- can create, analyse and critically evaluate various technical solutions in terms of the design and implementation of multimedia systems and to show insight in research and development by understanding limitations and possibilities;
- can plan and use appropriate methods to undertake advanced programming tasks within predetermined parameters and show the ability to identify knowledge gaps and bridging these gaps by gaining new knowledge.
- Show the ability to understand, interpretate and present scientific publications in the area.
The course gives knowledge about multimedia components, systems and applications with an emphasis on networked computers as conveyors of real-time information. The course an overview of multimedia applications and systems with emphasis on real-time distributed systems, time dependent media, coding and compression, systems and software architectures, multi-modal communication systems.
The following content is included:
- Digital data acquisition including analog and digital signals and systems, sampling and filtering
- Media presentation and media formats for digital images, video and audio
- Color theory addressing calibration and spaces and trichromacity
- Multimedia traffic control and communication
- Lossy and lossless compression of images, audio and video
- Green multimedia systems
- Principles for designing technologies for energy-efficient multimedia communication
Module 1: (Lecture: 8h) Multimedia fundamentals
Module 2: (Lecture: 8h) Networked Multimedia Applications
Module 3: (Lecture: 8h) Developing green multimedia applications
Examination: Oral/written examination covering module 1-3
24h lectures; 24h labs, 80h practical assignments, 65h self-study, 5h exam. Total: 200h