The ICT research community begins to federate their work in taking into account the sustainability constraint:
• The International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) has a new Working Group (5.11), on Computers and Environment.
• New workshops were held, such as IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology, IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communication, etc.
• Moreover, Europe supports different research projects in the FP7 on this topics as ICT-ENSURE, DIADEM, ECONET, TREND,…
By completing the specialisation and Master’s project a student is trained to perform a research project and critically reflect on his/her work. So a student is well prepared to function as:
• PhD-student at a university, performing research like studying Network protocols, distributed systems Software development, computer design in respect to the environment constraints.
• PhD-student at a large industry R&D-department, performing applied research, like design of smart systems for supervising, controlling energy, environment, etc.