How to get a French Visa ?

4 very important points
1) All non-european citizens must obtain a long-term visa entitled CESEDA 311-3 6° to enter France (1 year).
2) In order to obtain a visa, you must contact the French Consulate or Embassy of the country you live in.
3) To apply for a long-term visa, you must first have an admission in a French higher educational institution.
4) A tourist visa can never allow you to obtain a long stay permit. As a rule, a french visa cannot be changed once on the french territory

Types of visas for the enrollment

• STUDENT Visa :
Long-term visa D entitled CESEDA R311-3 6° and Demande d’attestation OFII with the mention ‘dispense de titre de séjour’ means that your visa must be validated by the French
Immigration Office (OFII)

Visa CESEDA L313-7 with the mention ‘Carte de séjour à solliciter dans les deux mois suivant l’arrivée.’

Visa with the mention ‘visiteur’ CESEDA R311-3 5° or L313-6

Exemption for European students
European students, that is to say nationals of the 30 countries of the EEA (27 European Union countries plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein),and from Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City, San- Marino and Switzerland are exempted from asking for visa de long séjour and resident’s permit, except if they want to ask for it or, in some cases, if they want to work as student.

Particular case
International students with a resident’s permit from another country of the Schengen zone who want to study in France must make the visa application at the French Embassy (or Consulate) of the country they are staying in (exclusively if their resident’s permit is still valid).

More information :
At ‘Accueil-Info Étudiants’ de l’Université de Lorraine (International students’ reception desk) in Nancy – 91 avenue de la Libération – F-54000 NANCY – Téléphone : 00 33 (0)3 54 50 41 01 in Metz – Ile du Saulcy, F-57012 METZ Cedex 1 – Téléphone : 00 33 (0)3 87 54 77 77 or

Many useful information for international students can be found at CAMPUS FRANCE Agence Française pour la promotion de l’enseignement supérieur, l’accueil et la mobilité internationale –

For any other information before your departure, you can contact the cultural office of the French Embassy or Consulate in your country or in the country you live in.
Useful Websites:

French administration
French foreign affairs Ministry
CROUS de Nancy-Metz